Sunday, April 19, 2009

Heaven is a Gü

Long, long ago back when I was studying in London (for the second time), a little gift from above happened along my path. It was known as Gü and could be found in the refrigerated desserts aisle at Waitrose. Mmm.

While I had a meal plan Regents College, Alex lived in an apartment a few streets away and lived like a normal Londoner, going to the grocery store every day or two. There was this nice little Waitrose around the corner, down Marleybone High Street, that we would shop at. They have *the* most amazing Chicken Tikka Masala in the world at their deli, but that is a story for another time.

The British are big on their 'puds' aka 'puddings' aka desserts and they really did not let me down with these little treats. We kept seeing these and finally just had to try them out. I don't remember what variety we first got, but it was yummy... we then found the Cheeky Sauce Pots aka 'choco pots' and were hooked on those. I can't say how many nights we would sit in his little flat, eat Chicken Tikka Masala and have Gü's for dessert. It was even nicer than sitting in some fancy, expensive restaurant downtown London. Such fond memories!

Anyway, Alex recently taunted me because his step-father brought him a huge, huge bunch of Gü's back to Dhaka, and I was in mourning for the melty choco deliciousness while he got to enjoy as many as he wanted. So unfair, and he wouldn't ship us any!


However, there was a light that came on when Julie said she was off to England again... I demanded she bring me home some Gü! She was skeptical at first, since they need to be refrigerated... but she had developed a love for them as well, and finally gave in. While she was visiting, she apparently ate a bunch of them, and even got a Gü Chocolate Torte Cake for Easter! Boooo.


Sooooo... when she came back, she brought me a great treat, two Gü Chocolate Souffles. I was a little disappointed that they were not the Choco Pots, but apparently the Tesco she stopped at only had this kind.


So chocolate and delicious. Tasted like happy memories of my nearly-forgotten youth. There is still one in the freezer that I'm saving for a rainy day.


Just look at that! Apparently, Gü products might be available in the US now at select Shaws and Whole Foods... I've written to the company for locations and am still waiting to hear back from them. It's been a week... get on it people!

0 comments:

 

Original Template by YummyLolly.com